The 2D FBAR model provides a simple starting structure consisting of a piezoelectric active layer (Aluminum Nitride), Molybdenum electrodes and silicon substrate material at the sides of the air cavity. This is a guide on how to simulate the model. this script covers all of the basic symbol commands you will need.
What is symbol?: Check out these articles to get more familiar with OnScale's scripting language symbol.
Film bulk acoustic resonators (FBARs) are a widely known technology used for RF filter applications. They are typically operated at 1.5 GHz and over due to their excellent performance in terms of high quality factor and low insertion loss.
Download and Open the Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to view the geometry dimensions and material assignment of a model to ensure the script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Click Select and open the file you wish to run (fbar_2D.flxinp)
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select the Download button
- Select Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: fbar_2D-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualise and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To plot the impedance of the FBAR device, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file 'fbar_2D.flxhst' to open it
- In Results Manager, select the voltage time history 'pize top:Voltage' by left clicking it
- From the Home tab of the ribbon, select the Impedance icon to calculate impedance
- In the Frequency History section of the Results Manager, double click 'Impd:top.amp' to plot impedance amplitude
Check out out to create this model using our graphical based Designer Mode
Get more familiar with OnScale's 3 Modes and their capabilities
Do you want to simulate an FBAR in 3D?