Simulating composite models in a full array allows designers to control the structure using volume fraction (percentage of pzt in the entire composite). In this example, we will simulate a 1-3 Piezocomposite array with 1600 pillars and 50% volume fraction and extract the impedance.
Model of a 1-3 Piezocomposite array with 1600 pillars using CTS 3203HD Piezoceramic and a hardset epoxy filler.
Download and Open the Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to view the geometry dimensions and material assignment of a model to ensure the script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Select 16 CPUs
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select the Download button
- Select Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: composite_3D-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualise and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To plot the impedance of the composite, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file 'composite_3D.flxhst' to open it
- In Results Manager, select the voltage time history 'pize top:Voltage' by left clicking it
- From the Home tab of the ribbon, select the Impedance icon to calculate impedance
- In the Frequency History section of the Results Manager, double click 'Impd:top.amp' to plot impedance amplitude
- In Plot Controls, tick Log yAxis
- In Plot Controls, set Minimum xAxis to 6.5e5 and Maximum xAxis to 2.5e6
- In Plot Controls, set Minimum yAxis to 1 and Maximum yAxis to 1000
Perform a parametric sweep on volume fraction using this model
Check out how to create a 1-3 Piezocomposite using our graphical based Designer Mode