Phased array transducers can be easily modeled in OnScale. In this example, we will simulate a full 3D phased array which is focused using XYZ co-ordinates and plot the beam profile.
Phased arrays are ultrasonic devices which are made up of multiple elements which transmit and receive signals that are pulsed from each element in such a way that causes the sound waves to combine to form a single wave front propagating in a direction. The direction of the beam can be controlled by adding delays to the firing of each element (a.k.a. delay laws). This example uses a 5 x 5 phased array propagating into a water load.
Download and Open the Model
Download: Phased Array 3D Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to view the geometry dimensions and material assignment of a model to ensure the script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Click Select and open the file you wish to run (3D_Phased_Array.flxinp)
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select the Download > Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: 3D_Phased_Array-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualize and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To see the beam profile of the phased array, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file '3D_Phased_Array.flxdato' to load it
- In Results Manager, double click the data array 'pmax' to plot it
- In Plot Controls, tick the User defined data range box
- Set Max to 3e4
- In the Model Graphics tab, select Cutting Plane tool
- Set options to the following:
- X Position 0.02
- Y Position 0.04
- Z Position 0.03
- X Rotation 90