OnScale is capable of modelling full 3D CFRP components. In this example we will simulate a 3D CFRP laminate with a delamination defect.
This simple 3D model simulates an immersion inspection of a CFRP laminate containing a delamination defect. The model comprises of a CFRP laminate with 24 ply layers and thin inter-ply resin layers. The number of plies is variable and their orientation is read into the model from an external CSV file, allowing for different laminates to be simulated.
Download and Open the Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to see the geometry dimensions and material assignment of your model to check your script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Click select and open the file you wish to run (CFRP_Laminate_3D.flxinp)
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select Download > Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: CFRP_Laminate_3D-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualise and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To plot the A-Scan from the simulation, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file 'CFRP_Laminate_3D.flxhst' to open it
- In Results Manager, double click 'avrg txav: Average' to plot the A-Scan