PMUTs are often set up in an array formation for imaging. OnScale is capable of simulating large 3D PMUT arrays which helps designers get a full picture of the performance of the array. In this example you will be shown how to get the membrane displacement of a 10x10 3D PMUT model created using the symbol language.
What is symbol?: Check out these articles to get more familiar with OnScale's scripting language symbol.
Model of a 3D Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducer (PMUT) array section with an Aluminum Nitride active layer on top of a thin Silicon Dioxide layer and Silicon substrate, operating into a water load.
Download and Open the Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to view the geometry dimensions and material assignment of a model to ensure the script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Click Select and open the file you wish to run (pmut_3D_Load.flxinp)
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select the Download button
- Select Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: pmut_3D_Load-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualise and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To plot the membrane displacement of the PMUT array, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file 'pmut_3D_Load.flxhst' to load it
- In Results Manager, double click ydsp to plot the Y displacement of the membrane
To plot the mode shape at 1.5 GHz, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, double click the file 'pmut_3D_Load.flxdato' to load it
- In Results Manager, right click on Mode-Shapes > Mode-1 > ydsp and select Plot Shape Movie
- In Plot Controls, set Scale Factor to 0.01
- In Plot Controls, select Play button to play mode shape