This is a modelling guide to help you get started simulating Solidly Mounted Resonators (SMRs) in OnScale. In this initial example you will be shown how to get the impedance and the maximum velocity profile of the SMR created using the symbol language.
What is symbol?: Check out these articles to get more familiar with OnScale's scripting language symbol.
This simple SMR model consists of an Aluminum Nitride active layer on top multiples layers of Silicon Dioxide and Tungsten on a Silicon substrate. The Bragg layers between the active layer and the substrate are typically used to reduce substrate losses in the SMR to maintain a high quality factor, a key performance metric for these types of filters.
Download and Open the Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to see the geometry dimensions and material assignment of your model to check your script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Click select and open the file you wish to run (SMR.flxinp)
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select the Download button
- Select Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: smr-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualise and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To plot the maximum velocity array and and impedance of the SMR, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file 'SMR_2D.flxhst' to open it
- In the Home tab of the ribbon, select Configure Viewport > 2_2
- In Results Manager, select the voltage time history 'pize top:Voltage' by left clicking it
- In the Home tab of the ribbon, select the Impedance icon
- In the Frequency History section of the Results Manager, double click 'Impd:top.amp' to plot impedance amplitude
- In the Plot Controls, tick Log yAxis and zoom into resonance on impedance graph by click and dragging over it
- Try adding a title in the Plot Controls
- Select the bottom Viewport by left clicking anywhere in it until it is highlighted
- In the Results Manager, Double click vmax to plot it
Use this model to perform a design study
Check out out to create this model using our graphical based Designer Mode
Get more familiar with OnScale's 3 Modes and their capabilities