This is a modelling guide to help you get started simulating optical waveguides in OnScale. In this initial example, the model is a simple straight waveguide built in Analyst using symbol. We will analyse the electromagnetic field output.
What is symbol?: Check out these articles to get more familiar with OnScale's scripting language symbol.
This basic 3D optical wave guide has a core 1500 nm wide and 800 nm thick.
Download and Open the Model
OnScale Input Files have the file extension *.flxinp. To open the downloaded file:
- Open OnScale
- Select Analyst Mode
- Select the Menu button in the top left of the application
- Select Open
Preview model is used to view the geometry dimensions and material assignment of a model to ensure the script is correct. To preview a model, select the Preview Model icon in the Home tab of the application ribbon.
Note: Preview model will display data from any grph commands that come before the prcs command. If you have more than one grph command, you can cycle through the graphics by continuously selecting Preview Model. To close the preview, select Stop Preview.
Run Model on Cloud
To run the model on the cloud, select the Run on Cloud button in the Home tab of the application and follow these steps:
- Click Select and open the file you wish to run (straight_tcos.flxinp)
- Select Estimate
- Select Run
- From the Home tab, select the Storage icon
- Select the Refresh icon to refresh storage
- Select the Job Name from the dropdown menu
- Select the Download button
- Select Download All
Choose a directory to download the results to. These results will be stored in the folder: straight_tcos-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS\1 where YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS is the current date and time.
Switch to Post Processor
Post Processor is a suite of tools used to visualise and analyse output data generated from OnScale simulations. Switch to Post Post Processor.
What kind of analysis can I do in Post Processor? Find out here.
To plot the electromagnetic field in Y, follow these steps:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the download directory and double click the file 'straight_tcos.flxdato' to open it
- In Results Manager, right click Time-30 > ey and select Plot Data Over Time
- In Plot Controls, select the play button to plot a video of the electromagnetic field (click and drag to rotate the model)
Bent Waveguide Monte Carlo Simulation
Get more familiar with OnScale's 3 Modes and their capabilities